MINUTES OF A meeting of the Regional Council



Date:                          Wednesday 27 May 2020

Time:                          9.00am


Online by Zoom Invitation


Present:                     R Graham - Chairman

R Barker

W Foley

C Foss

N Kirton

C Lambert

M McIlroy (Māori Committee Co-chair)

H Ormsby

M Paku (Māori Committee Co-chair)

A Tapine (RPC representative)

J van Beek

M Williams



In Attendance:          J Palmer – Chief Executive

P Munro – Te Pou Whakarae Māori Partnerships

J Ellerm – Group Manager Corporate Services

I Maxwell – Group Manager Integrated Catchment Management

T Skerman – Group Manager Strategic Planning

C Dolley – Group Manager

L Hooper – Governance Lead

A Redgrave – Transport Manager

D Broadley – Community Engagement & Communications Manager

B Smith – Chief Financial Officer



1.       Karakia /Welcome/ Apologies/Notices

Pieri Munro led the group in offering a karakia to open the meeting.

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

There were no apologies, nor notices.


2.       Conflict of Interest Declarations

There were no conflicts of interest declared.


3.       Confirmation of Minutes of the Extraordinary Regional Council Meeting held on 20 May 2020



Minutes of the Extraordinary Regional Council Meeting held on Wednesday, 20 May 2020, a copy having been circulated prior to the meeting, were taken as read and confirmed as a true and correct record.

Foley/van Beek




Follow-up Items from Previous Regional Council Meetings


The item was taken as read.



That the Council receives and notes the “Follow-up Items from Previous Regional Council Meetings” staff report.





27 May 2020 Update on Significant Organisational Activities


James Palmer introduced the item, which was taken as read, with discussions traversing:

·    Future reports will return to the monthly place based format, the first of which will be to the 24 June Regional Council meeting

·    Covid-19 recovery projects will be dealt with separately and specifically as further details about funding allocation become available from Central Government

·    Request for an update on the enforcement actions against local authorities’ wastewater discharges

·    Costs of opening the Wairoa River mouth are approximately $30,000 due to height of gravel crest and engineering challenges, and rivers along that coast are being checked weekly at present

·    Tukituki Leaders Forum met yesterday to discuss criteria for selecting preferred water storage solutions after previous meetings defined the ‘problem’

·    A Regional Business Partner cabinet paper for further business support for small-medium businesses in response to Covid-19 went to Cabinet on Monday, and staff are awaiting the outcome of that process.



That the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council receives and notes the 27 May 2020 Update on Significant Organisational Activities.





CE’s Verbal Update on the HBRC Operational Response to Covid-19


James Palmer provided an update covering:

·    At the moment, HBRC in level 2 transition and bringing more staff back, in a managed manner, to work at the Napier offices over the next 2 weeks with a number of staff to remain working from home. There will be a “city” bubble made up of staff working in Raffles, Dalton and Station Street offices. Guppy Road and the satellite Wairoa and Waipawa offices form their own bubbles.

·    CDEM wefare response move to Caring for Communities model is awaiting details from the Cabinet meeting Monday.

·    Continuing to work with Central Government on projects for economic recovery and job creation.



That the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council receives and notes the “CE’s Verbal Update on the HBRC Operational Response to COVID-19”.





Call for Minor Items Not on the Agenda



That Council accepts the following “Minor Items Not on the Agenda” for discussion as Item 11


Raised by

Climate Change

Cr Barker

TANK Plan Change consultation live streaming

Cr Kirton





Proposed Public Transport Changes


Anne Redgrave, Transport Manager, introduced the item highlighting:

·    Patronage is currently 35-40% of normal with additional buses required to cater for physical distancing requirements

·    NZTA has provided support in principle for implementation of RITS ticketing by 10 August, but has not approved funding beyond 30 June

Queries and discussions covered:

·    Costs and challenges for HBRC to provide public transportation and whether there are alternative options to achieve the climate change benefits, similar to on-demand service trial in Timaru



That Hawke’s Bay Regional Council:

1.      Receives and considers the “Proposed Public Transport Changes” staff report.

2.      Agrees that the decisions to be made are not significant under the criteria contained in Council’s adopted Significance and Engagement Policy, and that Council can exercise its discretion and make decisions on this issue without conferring directly with the community or persons likely to have an interest in the decision.

3.      Agrees to implement Option 1, subject to approval by the New Zealand Transport Agency and confirmation from the RITS project team that the ticketing system can be introduced as outlined following.

3.1     Immediate minor service changes, bus review in 2020-21, RITS system in place at latest 10 August, fares free continues until “Go- Live”, simplified fare structures ongoing for 4 months.





Adoption of 2020-21 Annual Plan Consultation Document and Supporting Information


Jessica Ellerm introduced the item, which seeks Council’s adoption of the information that supports the Consultation Document (CD) for the 2020-21 Annual Plan and the draft consultation document itself, with queries and discussions covering:

·    For specific rates impacts, suggest that specific reference to where Sample Rates information is found in the supporting documents

·    Distribution of the CD will be online and postcard will go out to all households advising of consultation and directing them to the website including advice to contact HBRC for hard copies. Part of the communications plan specifically covers social media channels.

·    Repurposed existing capital expenditure for the $1M recovery fund, to be leveraged against Central Government funding as part of the region’s economic recovery however still await clarity from the Crown about what specifically is going to be funded and the associated criteria and application processes

Rex Graham left the meeting at 9.58 am and Rick Barker assumed the Chair

·    Council still able to consider projects that contribute to the region’s recovery that don’t attract Central Government funds, and to either fund those themselves or in partnership with others

·    the public is being asked to make the choice of when they want the Council to provide rates relief, and to what extent

·    Councillors’ decision about the rates increase was solely driven by Covid-19

·    Rates remission relief measures including postponement and payment plans, will be offered in response to personal circumstances on a case by case basis.

Rex Graham re-joined the meeting at 10.18am

·    Rates remission policy options will be the subject of future Council decisions specifically targeted to responding to the established need and informed by what other assistance may be provided by Central Government, e.g. rates rebate scheme

·    Clearly stated preferred option is required by LGA and audited, and forecast financials are based on those preferred options – and how these are explained in the consultation document

·    “Activities” supporting document covers all the significant activities carried out across Council and provides the basis for the levels of service Council will provide.



That Hawke’s Bay Regional Council:

1.      Receives and considers the “Adoption of 2020-21 Annual Plan Consultation Document and Supporting Information” staff report.

2.      Adopts the following supporting information for the 2020-21 Annual Plan and Consultation Document as attached, incorporating any amendments made at the 27 May 2020 Regional Council meeting.

2.1.      Financial Statements for the Draft 2020-21 Annual Plan

2.2.      HBRC Funding Impact Statement 2020-21Draft Annual Plan

2.3.      2020-21 Activities

2.4.    Climate. Smart. Recovery. Action Plan.

3.      Adopts the Consultation Document for the 2020-21 Annual Plan, incorporating amendments agreed at the 27 May 2020 Regional Council meeting.

4.      Agrees that the Chief Executive and Group Manager Corporate Services are delegated to approve any minor amendments and edits required to the supporting information and the consultation document prior to publication for consultation.

Barker/van Beek


Cr Rick Barker relinquished the Chair at 10.38am, and Cr Rex Graham reassumed the Chair

The meeting adjourned at 10.38am and reconvened at 11am


Report from the 6 May 2020 Māori Committee Meeting


Michelle McIlroy, Co-chair, spoke to the item, highlighting:

·    Focus on the Covid-19 response by Taiwhenua organisations

·    Concerns raised by taiwhenua in relation to 1080 drops, and nitrate nitrogen levels and pesticides in wells

·    Zoom hui scheduled on 4 June for discussion and confirmation of the Terms of Reference for the Committee.



That the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council receives and notes the “Report from the 6 May 2020 Māori Committee Meeting”.

van Beek/Williams




Councillors' Reports from Meetings of Outside Bodies


Cr Will Foley provided an update covering:

·    the drought response has ramped up with the establishment of the Drought Relief Fund, the visit by the Minister last week and the donation of feed from Wairarapa

·    discussions at HB Rural Advisory Group (RAG) focussed on the Relief Fund and criteria and eligibility for farmers to be granted funding, e.g. $1M in fund and 1500 farmers potentially affected by the drought and in need of assistance, expected to be finalised this coming Friday

Cr Craig Foss provided an update as an HBRIC Ltd director, covering:

·    HBRIC board has been considering what HBRIC might do to assist the drought response, in liaison with RAG and suppliers, specifically in the area of sourcing and providing feed.



Discussion of Minor Matters Not on the Agenda




Raised by

Climate Change – councillors to expect an email from Cr Barker with a proposal to take a more proactive approach and step up climate change mitigation activities specifically, with the establishment of a Climate Change unit with at least 3 dedicated staff, along the lines of CDEM, funded by HBRC from the Disaster Damage Reserve as response to the Climate Change Emergency declared by the Regional Council.

Cr Barker

TANK Plan Change consultation live stream – acknowledges the excellent online consultation session with staff to discuss the plan change last night and advises there is another session this coming Thursday.

Cr Kirton





Section 36 Charges Review



That Council excludes the public from this section of the meeting, being Agenda Item 12 Section 36 Charges Review with the general subject of the item to be considered while the public is excluded; the reasons for passing the resolution and the specific grounds under Section 48 (1) of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 for the passing of this resolution being:





Section 36 Charges Review

s7(2)(b)(ii) That the public conduct of this agenda item would be likely to result in the disclosure of information where the withholding of that information is necessary to protect information which otherwise would be likely unreasonably to prejudice the commercial position of the person who supplied or who is the subject of the information.

The Council is specified, in the First Schedule to this Act, as a body to which the Act applies.





The meeting went into public excluded session at 11.29am and out of public excluded session at 12.08pm


Pieri Munro offered a karakia to close the meeting.




There being no further business the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 12.09pm on Wednesday, 27 May 2020.


Signed as a true and correct record.




DATE: ................................................               CHAIRMAN: ...............................................