MINUTES OF A meeting of the Regional Planning Committee


Date:                          Tuesday 14 August 2018

Time:                          9.00am


Council Chamber

Hawke's Bay Regional Council

159 Dalton Street



Present:                   Cr R Graham – Co Chair

                                 T Waaka – Chair Ngāti Pāhauwera Development & Tiaki Trust

Cr P Bailey

Cr R Barker – Deputy Co Chair

Cr P Beaven

Cr T Belford

K Brown – Ngāti Hineuru Iwi Inc

Cr A J Dick

M Heperi Northcroft – Ngāti Tūwharetoa Hapū

Cr D Hewitt

T Hopmans – Deputy Co Chair -Maungaharuru Tangitū Trust – from 9:57am

N Kirikiri – Te Toi Kura O Waikaremoana

J Maihi-Carroll – Mana Ahuriri Trust

J Nelson-Smith – Heretaunga Tamatea Settlement Trust

P Paku – Heretaunga Tamatea Settlement Trust

A Tapine – Tātau Tātau o Te Wairoa Trust

Cr F Wilson


In Attendance:          M Mohi – Chairman Maori Committee (until 12.20pm)

J Palmer – Chief Executive

E Lambert – Group Manager Regulation

T Skerman – Group Manager Strategic Planning

A Roets – Governance Administration Assistant

C Edmonds – Senior Planner

MA Baker – Senior Planner

G Ide – Manager Policy and Planning



1.       Welcome/Apologies/Notices

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and Toro Waaka offered a karakia.

The following Committee members gave notice that they will need to be excused, being:

·      Cr Fenton Wilson absent for period between 10:30-11:30am.

·      Mike Mohi and Jenny Nelson-Smith 12:00pm departure

·      Cr Rick Barker 2.30pm departure

·      Karauna Brown 3.30pm departure.


RPC27/18       That the apology for lateness from Tania Hopmans and for absence from Cr Neil Kirton be accepted.



2.       Conflict of Interest Declarations

There were no conflict of interest declarations.


3.       Confirmation of Minutes of the Regional Planning Committee Meeting Held on 2 May 2018



Minutes of the Regional Planning Committee meeting held on Wednesday, 2 May 2018, a copy having been circulated prior to the meeting, were taken as read and confirmed as a true and correct record.




3.1     Confirmation of Minutes of the Regional Planning Committee Meeting Held on 20 June 2018


Minutes of the Regional Planning Committee meeting held on Wednesday, 20 June 2018, a copy having been circulated prior to the meeting, were taken as read and confirmed as a true and correct record.





Receipt of the Proposed Draft TANK Plan Change


The Chairman introduced Joella Brown and Xan Harding and particularly thanked them for their hard work, voluntary time and commitment during this project and stressed the importance of working together in a collaborative way going forward to progress the TANK Plan Change.

·         Joella Brown spoke of her involvement as a mana whenua representative, responsible for developing, amongst other things, the Cultural Values Alignment with TANK draft plan report, input into the Social and Cultural Impacts Assessments with Dr Anthony Cole, organising the Community Reference Group meetings and generally providing in house advice specifically around tikanga and matauranga Māori.  She highlighted the very good relationships developed and her interest in the plan’s implementation.

·         Xan Harding represents the Hawke’s Bay Wine industry.  Xan felt that the draft Plan is quite revolutionary in terms of where key Māori values, views and concepts have been incorporated.  He asked the RPC to put aside their differences and to do their best with the TANK Plan Change, noting that a lot of good has come from the process and explained that without the TANK plan progress could not come about in the catchments.  He thanked every person involved for their hard work and input.

Nicky Kirikiri arrived at 9.11am

James Palmer presented the proposed draft Plan Change, highlighting the significant complexities around this project, the collaborative stakeholder group and the six year journey so far.  Discussions traversed:

·         The Draft TANK Plan change is a result of numerous meetings, presentations, a multitude of scientific, cultural, economic and social reports and an extraordinary depth of engagement to ensure a robust and community led process for understanding the issues and developing solutions facing the freshwater resources and the people in the TANK catchment.

·         Freshwater is the single largest focus of regional councils nationally, and is the epicentre of the Council’s work.

·         Cumulative effects of human interactions with the environment and the diffuse impacts of activities are not easily and readily identified and controlled, and meeting the National Policy Statement for Freshwater Management requirements is particularly complex and challenging.

·         RMA decision making has profoundly changed and is symbolised through the RPC, the expression of Article 2 of the Treaty of Waitangi and the devolved responsibilities from the Crown to this Council to work in partnership with the Treaty entities in a new and different way.

·         Credit and acknowledgment was given to members of the TANK group, supported by significant effort of HBRC staff.

·         This Plan Change is all about community ownership and has a high level of agreement.  The RPC will be making decisions around those issues where consensus has not been reached by the TANK Group, further reports will be prepared for the RPC to assist them

·         Hope to proceed through to formal notification and implementation of the Plan within the next few months.


Mary-Anne Baker thanked everyone involved with the TANK project, highlighting the complexities of the project and explaining some issues where consensus was not achieved. Further discussions traversed:

·         Staff are seeking the Committee’s receipt of the draft Plan Change to progress through the stages working toward public notification in early 2019

·         Workshops are intended to provide overview, contextual information and opportunity for discussion on the issues and proposed provisions.  It was suggested that they be recorded to enable wider community to hear the information if they are interested.

·         A request was made to defer the decision making to enable tangata whenua time to discuss with their respective treaty settlement entities, and to receive the report in principle only, however it was explained that the recommendations are deliberate in terms of narrowing the scope of the committee’s deliberations from here. The sole decisions today are to receive the draft and provide direction to staff.

·         Regarding the issues of non-consensus, there is no intention to undermine the processed of the TANK Group, but to ensure understanding of the plan change and make informed decisions.

·         The Committee was reminded of its commitment of an earlier resolution, being “The Regional Planning Committee has agreed to have particular regard to any TANK consensus outcome, if one emerges, and the Regional Council has given a good faith undertaking to implement the recommendations of the TANK Group. Any recommendations must also be consistent with the following higher level documents like the Resource Management Act, The National Policy Statement, National Environmental Standards and the Regional Policy Statement”.

·         It was agreed by the Committee that the workshop sessions will be recorded and available for public to view.

Tania Hopmans arrived at 9:53am

·         Reservations were expressed about limiting the further information the Committee may wish to request and the desire to not prevent the committee looking at issues other than those where consensus was not reached by the TANK stakeholder group.

·         Preference for staff is to have the Committee formally commission the work outlined in the recommendations, however the work will continue either way as it is required under Statute. From a staff perspective it is also useful to know what the process is for requesting further information or a report as some reports can consume an enormous amount of time to respond to.

·         It was agreed that any request for further information and/or reports is to be brought forward through the Chair or Co-Chair to the Chief Executive to be discussed and then accepted or rejected. Any further information supplied will be provided to all members of the RPC.



That the Regional Planning Committee:

1.      Formally thanks past and present members of the TANK Collaborative Stakeholder Group and HBRC staff for their individual and collective contributions to the creation of the draft TANK Plan Change presented to the Committee today.

2.      Receives the draft TANK Plan Change.



3.      Requests that staff prepare and present the further reports as listed following, to the Committee:

3.1.      the outstanding areas of non-consensus and any other areas that may be identified by the tangata whenua or council members of the RPC following the 14-15 August 2018 workshops so that decisions can be made by the RPC on those and other outstanding technical refinements

3.2.      options to consider whether the Committee proceeds directly to formal public notification, limited circulation of the draft plan change for targeted pre-consultation, or some wider public release of the draft plan change for general pre-consultation and feedback

3.3.      section 32 evaluation report

3.4.      implementation plan

3.5.      mandatory pre-notification consultation requirements with iwi authorities, local authorities and Ministers of the Crown

3.6.      proposed timeframes and arrangements for the hearing phase of the plan change process.




The Chairman advised that the discussions planned to be workshop sessions will be open to the public and recorded as part of the Committee meeting.


There being no further business the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 10.17am on Tuesday, 14 August 2018.

Signed as a true and correct record.



DATE: ................................................               CHAIRMAN: ...............................................