Description: Civil Defence Group Logo.jpg



MINUTES OF A meeting of the CDEM Coordinating Executive Group



Date:                          Monday 30 April 2018


Time:                          10.00am



Council Chamber

Hawke's Bay Regional Council

159 Dalton Street



Present:                     M Davidson – CE Central Hawke’s Bay District Council (Deputy Chair)

K Cooper - HB Area Manager NZ Fire Service

R Munneke – Acting CE Napier City Council

A Hickey – - MCDEM

N Jones – HB District Health Board

T Kura – East Coast Area Commander NZ Police

I Macdonald – HBCDEM Group Manager /Controller

M Adye – Group Recovery Manager

S Mason –HB District Health Board

S May – CE Wairoa District Council

R McLeod – CE Hastings District Council

O Postings – Chair HB Lifelines Group

A Prins – HBCDEM Group Welfare Manager



In Attendance:          J Palmer – Chief Executive

L Lambert – Group Manager External Relations

J Sutherland – EMA Community Engagement

A Roets – Governance Administrative Assistant

1.       Welcome/Apologies/Notices 

Apologies for absence from Wayne Jack, Brendon Hutchinson, Ken Foote were accepted with Richard Munneke standing in for Mr Jack.

Monique Davidson noted that she must leave the meeting at 11:50am and that Ross Mcleod will chair when she leaves.

The Deputy Chair specially welcomed Steven May, CE of WDC to his first CEG meeting.

The Deputy Chair acknowledged Ross McLeod’s contributions over the last 10 years highlighting the development of the Group Office review and establishment of the new permanent Hastings Emergency Management facility located next to HDC as well as his leadership through numerous events i.e the 2011 floods, the water contamination in 2016, followed by the fires in 2017.  The CEG Group thanked Ross for his contribution over the years.


2.       Conflict of Interest Declarations

There were no conflict of interest declarations.


3.       Confirmation of Minutes of the CDEM Coordinating Executive Group Held on 10 November 2017



Minutes of the CDEM Coordinating Executive Group held on Friday, 10 November 2017, a copy having been circulated prior to the meeting, were taken as read and confirmed as a true and correct record.





Call for Items of Business not on the Agenda


There were no items raised.



Biannual Election of Coordinating Executive Group Chair


Ian Macdonald provided an overview of the Terms of Reference which requires the election of a Chair and Deputy Chair every two years.

Deputy Chair hasn’t been filled since John Freeman’s (CE of CHB) resignation and  a Deputy Chair is deemed necessary for meetings when the Chair is not available



That the CDEM Coordinating Executive Group:

1.     Receives and notes the “Biannual election of Coordinating Executive Group” staff report.



2.     Nominates the following for the role of Chair of the Coordinating Executives Group:

Wayne Jack (Nominated by Monique Davidson)

there being no further nominations, Wayne Jack was elected unopposed.

3.     Confirms Wayne Jack as Chair of the Coordinating Executives Group.




4.       Nominates the following for the role of Deputy Chair of the Coordinating Executives Group:

Monique Davison (Nominated by Ross McLeod)

there being no further nominations, Monique Davidson was elected unopposed.

5.     Confirms Monique Davidson as Deputy Chair of the Coordinating Executives Group.






Amendments to Group Plan:  Controller Delegations


Ian Macdonald highlighted:

·         Seeking the recommendations and proposals in paragraph 7 of the report be endorsed.

Tania Kura arrived at 10:14am

·         Currently have 4 group controllers and a Team Leader: As part of the recent restructure a Team Leader Operational Readiness has been appointed and part of this role requires the appointment holder be capable of acting as an Alternative Group Controller. Jim Tetlow had been appointed to this role and it was proposed that he be appointed as an Alternative Group Controller. Jim has extensive experience in Emergency Management and has held senior appointments and a number of deployments. Any recommendation by the CEG has to be accepted by the Joint Committee

·         Ultimately here will be 5 Group Controllers and Two Hawke’s Bay Local Controllers per Council appointed.

·         It was noted that James Baty has left WDC and his name subsequently be removed from the six Controllers group in Paragraph 6 of the report.

·         The expectation is that if a person is being appointed as a Group Controller, he/she complete the MCDEM Controllers Development Programme.

·         There is a sense of urgency that some of the controllers appointed in the plan who have not completed the Development Programme. Ian explained that members get prioritised and that only a number of places available per year for members to complete the course.  The course is currently under review and will probably only be offered again by the end of 2018.  A number of members have indicated that they would like to complete the MCDEM Controllers Development Programme. Ian commented that it is a very intensive course and that members needs to find time to do the training and indicated that he would like to develop a controllers selection process. 

·         It was noted that Raoul (from HDC) has just completed the course and would envisaging seeing him appointing him as a local controller at some point given made the investment made.

·         It is suggested that the Recovery Managers should be identified to be included into the Group Plan.

·         A further change to the Group Plan will be submitted to the Committee to enable this.




That the Civil Defence Emergency Management Coordinating Executive Group endorses the changes to Controllers appointments in the Group Plan as proposed.





Recovery:  Proposed changes to the Group Plan


Ian Macdonald gave a brief discussion on the report. Discussions traversed:

·         An amendment was made to the CDEM Act 2016 which required that from 1 June 2018 any proposed plan be sent to the Minister to incorporate strategic planning for recovery.

·         The Ministry released a Director’s Guideline for Strategic Planning for Recovery for CDEM late last year and CEG has work collaboratively with the Ministry to determine where the report lacks information.

·         Ian reported a review of the guidelines found that the Group has already been largely carrying out “strategic planning” for recovery consistent with the new Guidelines and that additional changes and recommendations were made to the guideline as stated in paragraph 9 of the report.

·         The HB CEM Group Plan is due for a full review (including recovery) early 2019 and the full review report will be sent to the Minister for comment.

·         A Recovery Strategy has already been developed where Recovery Managers were appointed and now working towards training for Recovery Managers and Local Recovery Managers.

·         To proceed with the minor changes to the guideline, the Committee needs to decide whether the changes can be considered as minor under section 57 of the CDEM Act 2002. This would be a recommendation to the Joint Committee.

·         The Committee agreed that the changes made to the Plan were considered minor and therefor don’t trigger the requirement for public consultation and that recommendation will be made to the Joint Committee.



That the Civil Defence Emergency Management Coordinating Executive Group:

1.      Endorses the proposed changes to the Hawke’s Bay CDEM Group Plan as outlined in Attachment 1 to this report.

2.      Recommends to the Civil Defence Emergency Management Joint Committee that these changes be considered as minor under section 57 of the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002.





Group Work Programme: Update and Review


Ian Macdonald updated the Committee on the current work programme, highlighting:

·         a number of the projects have been delayed due to staff vacancies, the Group office structure and a number of small events

·         It was also requested that the current work programme is reviewed and any new projects into 2019/20 identified and prioritised.

·         CEG recommends the projects in par 4 remain a priority and notes that the Community resilience planning and initial response plans are long term projects.

·         Ian stated that given the new Group Office structure and new expertise, he would like to meet with members/agencies to refresh the Group Work programme before bringing it back to CEG for adoption.

·         The Committee members were invited to feedback to Ian about the value of the actions and initiatives and any other ideas and recommendations of how they would like him to report on the activities in future.



That the Civil Defence Emergency Management Coordinating Executive Group receives and notes the “Group Work Programme: Update and Review” staff report.





MCDEM Update To Coordinating Executive Group Chairs


Andrew Hickey highlighted the current work being undertaken at a National level by MCDEM and noted that the Minister and Director are currently visiting all Civil Defence Groups and will attend the Joint Committee on the 14th of May to give an overview of the review and to obtain input and thoughts. The intent is that the Minister will put a paper forward to Government in June 2018 summarising all recommendations received.

·         There is a current review underway on the current Legislation on new Civil Defence Act and will be finished by the end of May 2018.

·         There will be a large “Shake Out” exercise on “drop/cover/hold” and will be rolled out in October during the “Get ready” week from 14-18 October 2018 largely focussed on schools.

·         National Conference will be held in May on Resilience and mentioned that there are other workshops also to be held throughout the year.



That the CDEM Coordinating Executive Group receives and notes the “MCDEM Update to Coordinating Executives Group Chairs” staff report.





Ministerial Review – Better responses to Natural Disasters and other Emergencies in New Zealand


Ian Macdonald gave an overview and background and history on the paper explaining that the Minister wanted a review on Better Response to Natural Disasters and Other Emergencies. 

·         A TAG Group has been formed which comprises of a number of representatives from organisations and a report has been released from the TAG group end of last year and subsequently the Minister reviewed in how the recommendations can be implemented.

·         The HB CDEM Group made a submission covering off most of the points and recommendations contained in the recommendations from the TAG group were consistent with the HB CDEM Group “shared service” approach including changes to the funding model.

·         120 recommendations have been made which was contained in the TAG Review and it was noted that the 16 CDEM Group Managers from various regions reviewed each recommendation and discussed at a meeting in March 2018 and made a collective recommendations to DPMC.  DPMC will make recommendations via the Minister to cabinet in June 2018.



That the Civil Defence Emergency Management Coordinating Executives Group receives the “Ministerial Review – Better Responses to Natural Disasters and other Emergencies in New Zealand” staff report.





Group Welfare Report and Welfare Plan


Allison Prins took the paper as read and highlighted:

·         The Group Welfare Plan went through a consultation process and were pleased with the submissions received with the mention that no significant gaps were identified.

·         The final steps in publishing a final Group Welfare Plan is on hold to considered lessons from the Esk response and other general points on clarification, improvement and small additions still needs to be made.

·         Allison reported on their activities undertaken during the past few months highlighted that their capability to support communities to respond and how to do this more in partnership.  Structures, staff identification and development pathways continues to be a concern.

·         A Resilience fund application (for Rapid Relief Projects) was submitted in early March seeking funding for a project to scope out the issues and likely need for guidance on rapid relief planning in NZ and that the outcome of the application be expected in July 2018.

·         Attended an exercise on Cruise Ship sinking off Wairoa and reported that it was a very good learning exercise in how welfare can support another lead agency.

·         The Committee raised the question whether there was any further input or feedback on the “Gastro case study” after which Allison responded that a draft report will be provided soon with predominant focus on the needs assessment process and welfare needs.

·         Rural Advisory Group – seeking a recommendation from the team in what would work best and have a discussion with the group and revert back to the CEG with a recommendation.

·         It is recommended that the Rural Advisory Group present annually to the CEG about any updates and their activities.



That the Civil Defence Emergency Management Coordinating Executives Group receives and notes the “Group Welfare Report and Welfare Plan” staff report





Community Resilience Planning:  Update


Jae gave a presentation update on Community Resilience Planning projects in the 10 communities and the planned community meetings, community engagements and the outcomes they had including challenges, risks and potential solutions highlighting:

·         CRP’s are underway in several areas and Jae reported that they had great success with the Community resilience planning processes and plans and explained that the community resilience plans is about where communities come together to discuss their hazards and risks, the impacts these may have on their communities and what knowledge, skills and resources they have to respond to an emergency.

·         CPR’s process also provides a change for people in the community to connect built connections and networks within communities and is run like a workshop to contribute knowledge and ideas.  These workshops has been very successful and had positive feedback from attendees.

·         Community champions have emerged from the planning groups or from projects that have come out of the process and communities was regularly updated via social media they had established for their community (i.e Facebook) and liaising with ECC to help identify and organise local resources.

·         CDEM staff is working closely with communities and schools to update, guide and advise on community resilience plans and processes and have regularly meetings.

·         Somme communities feel that they need to have a more focussed element to the plan on providing shelter and food for animals and tsunami evacuees and will have another meeting later this year on risk-scape.

·         There is an opportunity for CDEM Community Resilience Plans to integrate into the Community development planning in the wider community.



That the Civil Defence Emergency Management Coordinating Executives Group receives the “Community Resilience Planning Update” report.





Group Volunteer Strategy:  Update


With Jim being on leave, Ian Macdonald gave an update reporting that an existing staff member, being Marcus Hayes-Jones, has been appointed as EMO (Volunteer Management) and by the next CEG meeting a draft strategy report will be available for approval.



That the Civil Defence Emergency Management Coordinating Executives Group receives and notes the “Group Volunteer Strategy:  Update” staff report.





Engineering Lifelines Report


The report was taken as read, with discussions covering:

·         Hawke’s Bay Fuel plan in a final draft stage and will be completed once final information are collated and the next step will be to have it in an operational manner during an emergency. A Small team from Emergency Services, HB CDEM and others will be developing this document further.

·         The outcome of the fuel plan is also to recommend that a number service stations within HB which are capable of having generators plugging into them and must collectively be considered.

·         Councils are invited to attend the Lifelines meetings and it has been reported that engagement with councils was overall positive, but some councils need to be more involvement in the Lifelines meetings.

·         Mike Adye reported that he had several discussions with organisations and DHB in particular where the impression is formed that Councils and businesses did not take into consideration their wider vulnerability to business continuance.  It really comes down to GIS platform where information and data is kept and analysed to respond and assist a post-disaster response and recovery process.

·         Mike to get in contact with utility managers (particular roads, fuel and power) and to develop a Vulnerability study and it is important to develop a GIS plan for HB by the second half of this year or first half of 2019.

·         There is a study proposal available to share with CEG members and it is recommended that the Joint Drinking Water Group assist with the vulnerability study for drinking water that could be used to inform the study.

It is proposed that each CEG member engage with their own organisation to confirm engagement given how important each lifeline is in an event of emergency.



That the Civil Defence Emergency Management Coordinating Executives Group receives and notes the “Engineering Lifelines” staff report.





Group Recovery Manager's Report


Mike gave an update on the report and taken the report as read. Discussions traversed:

·         The Economic and Social Recovery were discussed and what the work group programmes entail on their structures, roles and responsibilities for recovery to gain a better understanding of the roles and responsibilities of other agencies working alongside local authorities within the task groups following an event and to plan how the recovery effort may be effectively coordinated.

·         Mike had conversations with Wayne Jack who talked with Jarod Quinn and explained that there is now an objective in the Matariki project for Economic recovery and Mike was seeking advice from the committee on any further updates on the project and how to move forward. 

·         There has been formal discussions of which Mike formed part of, but there will be a Matariki meeting in due course after which Monique Davidson will follow up on Mike’s behalf and revert back with feedback from the meeting.

·         There will be no further work done on the Environment strand of recovery until Mike has heard back from Territorial Authorities regarding environmental issues that may occur out of the Recovery process.

·         Mike gave an update on the Social recovery explaining that he and Allison is working closely through the Work Welfare Coordinating Group and there is close engagement with the Rural Advisory Group. 

·         Allison reported that the Best practices on Social Recovery is not very well understood Nationally and that one of the things as a continuous scheme, is how they navigate services.  They had some very good progress on workshopping to gain better technical understanding of how all the agencies and NGO’s work together to lead the outcomes.  It is unclear in who leads or funds the Social Recovery process.



That the Civil Defence Emergency Management Coordinating Executives Group receives the “Group Recovery Manager’s Report”.





Group Manager’s General Update


Ian Macdonald highlighted:

·         The importance of training and exercising mentioned in the report and highlighted that staff have a basic understanding of the key processes that take place during a response. Approximately 90 staff from across the councils have completed the Integrated Training Framework Foundation course and has been well received.

·         The new method of operations implementation work has continued on the implementation and referred the members to the draft table, attachment 1 of the report which defines the levels of response with associated roles which will be incorporated into initial response plans and SOP’s to be developed.

·         45 staff members from each of Hastings, Napier and HBRC will be trained and utilised both in Council incident management team and in a Group activation at the GECC.  The was an need for ongoing support from senior Council managers in implementing this change.

·         Ian gave an update on the Hastings Emergency Management Facility Alterations which involve the complete retrofit and strengthening of the buildings foundations, structural and internal components. The physical work is scheduled to begin in June 2018 and should be completed by the end of this calendar year.

·         The HB CDEM ECC and Group office will be relocating to the Heretaunga house across the road in Hastings.  Will be establishing a small coordinating group which will retain the capability of responding to a small-medium size event.

·         A new Group Office Restructure and Implementation structure/chart has been supplied to the members and now in implementation phase where two new roles has been advertised being the Team Leader Community Resilience and Emergency Advisor (Processes and Technology).

·         A briefing paper/report to be provided to the CEG meeting after any emergency event updating key actions resulting from successes or failures and which is measured against the community response plans.



That the Civil Defence Emergency Management Coordinating Executives Group receives and notes the “Group Manager’s General Update” staff report.





Discussion of Minor Items not on the Agenda


There were no further items raised.



There being no further business the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 11:48am on Monday, 30 April 2018.


Signed as a true and correct record.




DATE: ................................................               CHAIRMAN: ...............................................