MINUTES OF A meeting of the Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy Joint Committee


Date:                          Tuesday 20 February 2018

Time:                          10.00am



Council Chamber

Hawke's Bay Regional Council

159 Dalton Street



Present:                     Cr Peter Beaven – HBRC (Chair)

Cr Tony Jeffery – NCC (Deputy Co Chair)

Cr Tania Kerr – HDC (Deputy Co-Chair)

          Cr Paul Bailey – HBRC

          Cr Larry Dallimore – NCC

Tania Hopmans – Maungaharuru Tangitū Trust via skype

                                    Peter Paku – He Toa Takitini

                                    Tania Huata – Mana Ahuriri Trust

                                              Cr Anne Redstone – HDC (Alternate)

                                    Mayor Sandra Hazlehurst – HDC (Alternate)


In Attendance:          Simon Bendall – Mitchell Daysh

                                    Graeme Hansen – HBRC

                                              Dean Moriarity – NCC

                                    Mark Clews – HDC

Craig Goodier – HBRC

Drew Broadley – HBRC

Craig Daly – Northern Panel Member

Keith Newman – Southern Panel Member

                                             A Roets – Governance Administration Assistant


1.       Welcome/Apologies/Notices 

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting, especially all the panel members and Mayor Hazlehurst and spoke of where the Joint Committee intend to adopt and recommend the report of the Northern and Southern Cell Assessment Panels.



That apologies from Rod Heaps be accepted.




2.       Conflict of Interest Declarations

There were no conflict of interests.


3.       Confirmation of Minutes of the Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy Joint Committee held on 5 December 2017



Minutes of the Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy Joint Committee held on Tuesday, 5 December 2017, a copy having been circulated at the meeting. Apologies made for not been distributed earlier.





Actions from Previous Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy Joint Committee


Simon Bendall spoke to the actions and explained that all actions have been addressed and completed.

Item 3: Follow up action– Given that no response was received to the letters, important that a follow up occurs – phone calls and offers of visiting to do a presentation to each of Iwi groups so that they are fully informed.  Tania Huata noted her disappointed that people didn’t respond and highlighted that the panels work tirelessly to engage the community.

Item 8:  the resolution from previous meeting included the following words “explore options and recommend to Council the establishment and commencement of contributions to the Coastal Response Contributory fund asap”.  Joint Committee to have a discussion as to what that function should consist of, how it should be managed and what it’s purposes should be. Request  made that TAG  report back to the Committee on these points at the next meeting.



That the Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy Joint Committee receives and notes the “Actions from previous Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy Joint Committee Meetings” report.





Call for Items of Business Not on the Agenda



That the Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy Joint Committee accepts the following “Items of Business Not on the Agenda” for discussion as Item 11:




Councillor / Staff


Technical Questions

Larry Dallimore






Report of the Northern and Southern Cell Assessment Panels


The Chair invited Keith Newman from the Southern Panel and Craig Daly from the Northern Panel to speak to the Panel’s Report and recommendations. Mr Newman and Mr Daly gave a presentation highlighting the process they had undertaken, and the key recommendations for each priority unit. The supplementary recommendations from each Panel were also noted. 

Following questions and discussion, the Chair subsequently invited members from either of the panels in attendance who may wish to comment. Further comments were offered by a number of Panel Members in attendance.

Councillor Kerr supported the involvement of Mr Newman and Mr Daly in the next round of reporting to each Partner Council. Mr Newman and Mr Daly both accepted an invitation to be part of that process.

There was some discussion around the wording being used in the recommendations and some members felt that paragraph 1.2 be removed from the recommendations and other members were happy with the recommendations as they stand.



That :

1.    The Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy Joint Committee:

1.1.    Receives the Report of the Northern and Southern Cell Assessment Panels.

1.2.    Endorses the recommendations of the Northern and Southern Cell Assessment Panels as presented in their report dated 14 February 2018.

1.3.    Recommends that the Napier City Council, Hastings District Council and Hawke’s Bay Regional Council endorse and adopt the recommendations of the Northern and Southern Cell Assessment Panels as presented in their report dated 14 February 2018, and commence Stage 4 (Implementation) of the Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy 2120.

Hopmans abstained.





Joint Committee Terms of Reference


Mr Bendall noted that following the commitment of all Parties to the ongoing role of the Joint Committee in Strategy development, the Chair of the Joint Committee had requested a review of Committee’s Terms of Reference to consider whether any changes were required to enable the Joint Committee to continue to provide its governance role through Stage 4 of the Strategy.

Mr Bendall noted that he had completed this review, and did not consider that changes were necessary. He highlighted the relevant clauses from the Terms of Reference to support that conclusion. 

He noted, however, that the membership list be updated to reflect a change in representation for Mana Ahuriri Incorporated with Tania Huata being appointed to the Joint Committee.



1. The Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy Joint Committee receives and notes the report Terms of Reference.

2. That the Terms of Reference be changed to reflect Tania Huata Ahuriri Inc replacing Terry Wilson as the representative for the Mana Ahuriri Inc

Hazlehurst / Kerr




Project Manager Update


Simon Bendall spoke to his project managers report, highlighting the following matters:

·    Completing Stage 3 –

o   Mr Bendall noted the dates that each Partner Council would receive the Joint Committee’s recommendations supporting the outcome of the Assessment Panels Work.

o   There was discussion with Joint Committee members regarding any support that TAG may provide through this Council reporting process.

o   Mr Bendall asked the Iwi members of the Joint Committee how the reporting and approvals process could be supported back through each of their respective organisations. Mr Paku and Ms Huata advised that they would report the outcome of today back through their organisations. Ms Hopmans noted that it would be useful for TAG to offer a presentation to her organisation highlighting the outcomes and how the cultural values were taken into account.

o   It was requested that TAG advise members of both Assessment Panels when the meetings of each Partner Council is and that they be invited/encouraged to attend.

o   Chairman request copies of the Cultural Values Report by Aramanu Ropiha and final report and recommendations to be sent to Maungaharuru Tangitū Trust.

·    Commencing Stage 4:

o   Funding has been identified for Stage 4 in the draft LTP for each Partner Council, however this funding, if approved, will not be available until the new financial year commencing 1 July 2018

o   Due to extra work not anticipated, budgets for the current finical year have been exceeded.

o   TAG have a preference to “pause” on engaging any further external advice in support of Stage 4 until after 30 June 2018.

·    Funding decisions:

o   Mr Bendall noted that a range of work on the funding model approach had been developed and debated by Partner Councils, however some key questions remained unresolved, including:

o   Share of responsibilities between Councils for collecting rates in support of physical work programmes identified by the Strategy

o   Share of responsibilities between Councils for seeking resource consents and implementing works

o   Detailed functioning of the Contributory Fund, particularly how targeted rates will be applied

o   The public/private benefit assessment for each physical works programme, and the resulting apportionment of costs

o   The point of raising these questions in this meeting is to provide further opportunity for open discussion on these and any other critical questions Joint Committee members may identify.  This would assist TAG to refine these questions and work on recommendations to resolve them over the coming months.

o   Committee Members noted that there are a range of possible funding options available that need to be explored – TAG to investigate and advise what the options might look like and revert back to the Joint Committee to consider

o   An expert from the National Science Challenges program indicated she is interested in running a session on what the triggers are and what they might look like. Members of both Assessment Panels have indicated that they will be interested in this discussion. Cr Beaven proposed to proceed without delay to have the session and take advantage of the opportunity that has been presented to us and get the work on triggers done. 

o   Simon Bendall invited members from the Joint Committee and other TAG members to join him at a workshop of the Wellington Region Climate Change Group, where he will be presenting a paper with regard to the process of this Strategy and how we got started.  This workshop will be held on 16 March 2018 in Wellington.

o   Central Government Regional Development Fund – needs to have further discussions in how we want to engage with the Government on support with funding. Need to engage with Government with specific goals in mind.




That the Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy Joint Committee receives and notes the Project Manager Update report.





Current Coastal Projects Update


1.1      Whakarire Ave Revetment Works – Dean Moriarity reported that there was nothing new to add since the last report. Confirm that cost of constructing was higher and funding was identified for this in the draft LTP.

1.2      Port of Napier Capital Works Program – it was reported that the Port of Napier had lodged a resource consent application for a new berth, dredging and disposal of dredged material. Experts were currently reviewing the application.

The application has been lodged but no decision has been made at this stage as to the level of public notification. The Chairman noted he could call a meeting of the Joint Committee to determine whether or not the Committee would be making a submission and what the nature of the submission would be on behalf of the Strategy that was adopted earlier in item 6.

1.3      Proposed Revetment Works at Clifton - Mark Clews from HDC reported that due to one submitter objecting, they would need to hold a hearing. The  Hearings Committee would meet on 21/2/2018 where they would be asked to approve a panel for that Hearing and a date would be set thereafter.

1.4      Proposed Revetment Works at Haumoana being led by property owners, a single property on Clifton Road along the H21have had a consent granted for a sheet pile wall



That the Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy Joint Committee receives and notes the verbal Current Coastal Projects Update report.





Communications Plan


Drew Broadley, HBRC Communications Manager spoke to the paper and attached Communications Plan.

Discussions traversed:

·     Some constraints in the current budget

·     January – June 2018:  newsletter in the Hastings and Napier community newspapers – a copy has been circulated to the Joint Committee by email

·     Further newsletter to appear before the end of the financial year

·     TAG to investigate opportunities to work with the Living at the Edge team on communications



1.    The Clifton to Tangoio Coastal Hazards Strategy Joint Committee receives and notes the report Communications Plan.






Discussion of Items Not on the Agenda




Councillor / Staff


Could TAG consider the attached issues to assist deliberations    

·         Series of questions which was circulated by Councillor Larry Dallimore yesterday.

·         The Chair had a discussion with Cr Dallimore about these questions and he is happy with the response and is keen to receive a response from TAG.

·         Questions refer to the implementation phase and they raised questions around the role of the Port of Napier. Some of the questions would need to be referred to Tonkin and Taylor and some can be answered by TAG.

·         TAG to report back in the next Joint Committee meeting with responses to the questions.

·         Members were referred to the online links on YouTube about Dr Peter Cowell, taken from an the visit he made to Hawke’s Bay in 2017.

·         Links to be provided to Committee Members

Larry Dallimore





Tania Huata closed the meeting with a waiata and karakia.

There being no further business the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 12.43pm on Tuesday 20 February 2018


Signed as a true and correct record.





DATE: ................................................               CHAIRMAN: ...............................................