Meeting of the Hawke's Bay Regional Council
Date: Wednesday 21 December 2016
Hawke's Bay Regional Council
159 Dalton Street
Item Subject Page
1. Welcome/ Apologies
2. Conflict of Interest Declarations
3. HBRIC Ltd Interim Chairman Appointment 3
Wednesday 21 December 2016
Subject: HBRIC Ltd Interim Chairman Appointment
Reason for Report
1. With the resignation of the current Chairman of the HBRIC Ltd Board of Directors effective 30 December 2016, it is necessary for Council to confirm the appointment of an Interim Chairperson while the process of selecting a permanent Chairperson is undertaken.
2. The Appointments Committee considered the appointment of an interim Chair for the HBRIC Ltd Board of Directors, and then sought and received the agreement of Mr Sam Robinson to fulfil that role.
3. The resolution of the Appointments Committee, which forms the recommendation to Council, is:
3.1. The Appointments Committee recommends the appointment of Mr Sam Robinson as Interim Chairman of HBRIC Ltd for the period 31 December 2016 to 30 June 2017, while the process of a permanent appointment is undertaken.
Decision Making Process
4. Council is required to make every decision in accordance with the requirements of the Local Government Act 2002 (the Act). Staff have assessed the requirements in relation to this item and have concluded:
4.1. The decision does not significantly alter the service provision or affect a strategic asset.
4.2. The use of the special consultative procedure is not prescribed by legislation.
4.3. The decision does not fall within the definition of Council’s policy on significance.
4.4. The persons affected by this decision are the Board of Directors of HBRIC Ltd.
4.5. As there is a requirement for there to be a Chairperson for the HBRIC Ltd Board of Directors there is no other option for Council to consider.
4.6. The decision is not inconsistent with an existing policy or plan.
4.7. Given the nature and significance of the issue to be considered and decided, and also the persons likely to be affected by, or have an interest in the decisions made, Council can exercise its discretion and make a decision without consulting directly with the community or others having an interest in the decision.
1. Agrees that the decisions to be made are not significant under the criteria contained in Council’s adopted Significance and Engagement Policy, and that Council can exercise its discretion under Sections 79(1)(a) and 82(3) of the Local Government Act 2002 and make decisions on this issue without conferring directly with the community and persons likely to be affected by or to have an interest in the decision.
2. Confirms the appointment of Mr Sam Robinson as Interim Chairman of HBRIC Ltd for the period 31 December 2016 to 30 June 2017, while the process of a permanent appointment is undertaken.