MINUTES OF A meeting of the Maori Committee



Date:                          Tuesday 24 August 2010


Time:                          10.15am



Council Chamber

Hawke's Bay Regional Council

159 Dalton Street



Present:                     M Mohi - Chairman

E McGregor

L Remmerswaal

T Gilbertson

H Hilton

M Apatu

P Paku

T Tareha

C Lambert

A Paipper


In Attendance:          A Newman – Chief Executive

                                   A Dick Chairman HBRC

                                   C Scott HBRC Councillor

                                   V Moule - Kaitohutohu

                                             K Johnson – Scientist

                                   H BaaloushaSenior Groundwater Scientist

                                   R Waldron – Resource Analyst

                                   A Bate – Planner

                                             M Benson – Water Management Advisor

                                             M Drury – Minute Secretary





         Chairman Mohi welcomed everyone to the meeting.

         Apologies were received from Messrs H Hiha, M Black. A Tipene and Mrs N Taylor and Mrs V Wairau.




         There were no conflict of interest declarations.



Short Term Replacement on Committee



That Aki Paipper  be appointed as a member of the Maori Committee of the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council for the meeting of Tuesday, 24 August 2010 as short term replacement on the Committee for N. Taylor.





4.      CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES OF the  Maori Committee held on 29 June 2010


Minutes of the Maori Committee held on Tuesday, 29 June 2010, a copy having been circulated prior to the meeting, were taken as read and confirmed.




5.      Matters Arising from Minutes of  the  Maori Committee held on Tuesday 29 June 2010

12.    General Business – Environment Awards

Chairman Mohi advised that due to a change in criteria for some award categories which had resulted in a low number of entries, a decision had been reached by the Awards Organising Committee that the Environment Awards would be held on a 2 year basis with the next awards due in 2012.

12.    General Business – Parimahu

Chairman Mohi updated the Committee on progress at Parimahu near Porangahau and noted that HBRC had offered to pay for the fencing materials to fence off an alleyway to the beach, Ngati Kere were to erect the fence at no cost and CHB District Council were paying for survey costs..


Action items


There were no action items.





1.    Update on Oxidation ponds at Waipukurau

2.    Winstones Kaitiaki Group

3.    Peka Peka Wetland



Update on Current Issues by Chief Executive and chairman hbrc

Land and Water Forum

Mr Newman updated the Committee on progress made by the Land and Water Forum Group which was preparing a report for Central Government on the future shape and governance of water in New Zealand.  The report would be presented to Government in the near future and would be publicly released on 14 September.  Mr Newman also outlined the key points which the Group had considered in preparing the report.

Mr Newman reminded the Committee that 18 months ago, questions had been asked about the future of water management in New Zealand and noted that this report was significant  from a Regional Council perspective as it reinforced the functions currently being undertaken by HBRC in the water management area. 

Mr Newman advised that as a result of  iwi input into the Land and Water Forum report and the various outcomes of treaty settlements to date, the Office of Treaty Settlements was running a hui on 27 September for all treaty claimant groups in New Zealand.   Mr Newman noted that following discussions on the future directions to be taken on treaty settlements, agreement had been reached to take a collaborative approach to all future discussions.

The Committee acknowledged that co-governance should occur in future with iwi and Council and considered that a precautionary approach was required as there were still many issues to be confronted before the structure of the proposed governance group was confirmed.  The Committee also acknowledged that discussions to date with staff had been successful and Council did accept the principal of partnership and co-governance of all natural resources in the region.

Concern was expressed, however, that it was important that discussions were had with all relevant parties and all claimants needed to be clearly identified as there were overlapping claims in some areas.  If this did not occur, time would be wasted by both staff and other parties.

National Cycleway

Mr Newman advised that the “Landscape” cycleway plan had been approved by Government and the Prime Minister had recently signed it off.  This cycleway encompassed the Tukituki Valley, Haumoana and Te Awanga.  The second “Water” cycleway which covered Ahuriri estuary and out to Bayview was still under consideration with ongoing discussions being held with current landowners.

East Coast Rail Line

Chairman Dick updated the Committee on a recent meeting held in Gisborne between Mayors Probert, Arnott and Yule, representatives from the Port, Chamber of Commerce and Kiwi Rail, himself and members of the Gisborne District Council on the future of the East Coast Railway.  Chairman Dick advised that a tentative agreement had been reached that the retention of the line was significant for the regions particularly if the proposed timber plant in Gisborne proceeded in the near future.

Chairman Dick advised that a further meeting had taken place on Monday, 23 August with all parties as well as Members of Parliament for the areas and following that meeting, HBRC had commissioned a report backgrounding the volumes of freight between Gisborne and Napier and the implications of Hikirangi coming on stream.  Chairman Dick also noted that Kiwirail had been canvassing for more business because at this time, they are losing money on the line.

Chairman Dick also advised that a suggestion had been made that in order to get some certainty about the future of a company named Hikurangi a delegation of regional representatives meet with the Malaysian owner of Hikurangi later this year or early 2011.

Chairman Dick commented that the meetings to date had been successful with a good relationship being developed between all interested parties and it was now imperative that a positive outcome was achieved with Hikirangi.  Finally, Chairman Dick advised that Kiwi Rail had undertaken work on one of the 21 tunnels on the line which had resulted in high cubed containers being able to be carried on the line.

Kai in the Bay

Chairman Dick advised he had recently met with Messrs Henry Heke  and Rex Graham who were organising a Maori & Wild Food Festival in Napier on Saturday, 13 November 2010. It was hoped to raise awareness of diabetes through this event which would be smoke and alcohol free.  Chairman Dick commented the organisation of the event appeared to be very good, some sponsorship had been secured, however, more sponsorship was being sought particularly for the temporary fencing off the reserve at Perfume Point and the provision of marquees.

The Committee discussed this event, agreed that it could be a very successful event but noted that Council did not have funds available for this sort of activity.  Chairman Mohi advised that this event could become an annual event and following further discussion the Committee agreed to recommend to Council at its meeting on 25 August that further consideration be given to this proposal.



That the Committee:

1.      Receives the Chief Executive’s and the Chairman’s verbal  Reports.

2.      Recommends to Council to explore avenues to assist and support the staging of Kai in          the Bay, a Maori and Wild Food Festival to be held on Saturday, 13 November 2010.






Update on Ruataniwha Cultural Impact Assessment

Ms Benson updated the Committee on the Cultural Impact Assessment for the Ruataniwha Water Storage Feasibility Study and other discussions which had taken place recently with iwi.  Ms Benson outlined the reasons for undertaking a cultural impact assessment which included identification of the potential benefits and issues for tangata whenua as a result of the proposed development.   Following hui with each of the potentially affected maraes, wahi tapu sites had been identified along with other cultural values and social values.

Ms Benson advised the Committee that these discussions were only the beginning of ongoing communication which would continue throughout the project.  Ms Benson also advised that a draft of the CIA which is being prepared by Benita Wakefield from EIT with assistance from Roger Maaka and Morry Black, would be ready with a final report being prepared at the end of August.

Committee members expressed concern about discussions to date and noted that not all affected maraes had been contacted.  Concern was also expressed that one on one interviews were not always successful and it was necessary to talk to the greater number of hapu.  Chairman Mohi  said he would have a discussion with Benita Wakefield  about the Committee’s concerns and an invitation would be extended to her to attend the next Maori Committee meeting.

The Committee also discussed the water storage proposals and stressed the point that all living organisms in the rivers would be affected and it was imperative that consultation was undertaken with all affected parties otherwise fisheries in the river would be altered similar to what had occurred in the Waikato river.   In response Mr Newman outlined the Plan process and advised there was still plenty of time for the claimant groups to give thought to the Plan process.



That the Maori Committee :

1.    Note that the Cultural Impact Assessment is currently being undertaken and the final report is due late August.

2.    That liaison with Hapu will continue throughout the duration of the Ruataniwha Water Storage Feasibility Study, beyond the completion of the Cultural Impact Assessment.





High Flow Allocations

Mr Johnson presented a Powerpoint presentation which illustrated scientific support for a high flow allocation methodology as part of the development of the Regional Resource Plan.  Mr Johnson explained the object of the investigation which was to model high flow allocation in the Ngaruroro River during the primary water harvesting months of June to November and to determine any effects on instream values.  He also outlined the modelling procedures undertaken once a daily average naturalised flow record for the Ngaruroro River at Fernhill Bridge had been developed and the construction of eight high flow allocation scenarios had been undertaken.

Summarising  the conclusions from the modelling, Mr Johnson advised that similar results had been analysed for the eight methods undertaken which indicated all only had a very minor effect on the flow regime and instream ecology of the Ngaruroro River for the months June to November therefore a decision to determine the quantity of water which should be made available for allocation was a preference decision.  Mr Johnson also described the results from the allocation scenarios also investigated in the study. He advised that block allocation to determine the implications for water users and environmental flows would be modelled along with high flow allocation scenarios on the Tukituki catchment. Future modelling planned for other catchments including the Tutaekuri which would form the basis for specific allocation structures for each catchment.

Responding to a question Mr Johnston explained that fish are not necessarily disadvantaged as a result of reducing high flow allocations and agreed that the minimum flow is there to protect the living space, environmental factors and the living conditions of the river.

Mr Johnson also confirmed that the model had been built around the very worst scenarios that could occur.



That the Maori Committee:

1.    Receives the report titled “High Flow Allocations”.





Understanding Flow Patterns Within the Ruataniwha Basin

Mr Johnson gave a Powerpoint presentation which explained  the physical hydrological systems  in the Ruataniwha Plains and the results gained from the Ruataniwha Concurrent Gaugings Programme  conducted over 34 sites in the Ruataniwha Plans.  This programme was  developed to provide detailed hydrological data for a review of the current water allocations in the basin and it was hoped the detailed data would show the gains and losses along streams in the basin, establish flow correlations with recorder sites and provide data for the basin’s groundwater model.

Mr Johnson summarised the findings of the programme which corroborated major historical patterns in the basin but also noted that there were changes from historical flow patterns in the upper Waipawa and Tukituki rivers which were previously observed as losing reaches.  Field work would continue to confirm if the changes outlined from the Concurrent Gauging Programme would represent a shift in long term flow patterns.

Responding to a question, Mr Johnson confirmed that based on information available there was an indication that the areas at the bottom of the Waipawa and Tukituki rivers had the ability to dry.



That the Maori Committee :

1.    Receives the report titled “Understanding Flow Patterns Within the Ruataniwha Basin”.





Low Flow Monitoring Report 2008-2009

Mr Waldron introduced the agenda item which provided a summary of the Low Flow Monitoring Report 2008-2009 and the low flow monitoring undertaken during 2009-2010 summer.  He also explained why minimum flows were set at specific points and noted that some river/streams have additional abstraction cut off levels set at flow levels above the minimum flow that relate to high flow allocation consents.

Mr Waldron explained how the low flow monitoring programme worked and gave a Powerpoint presentation that included a graph which compared the number of ban days for low flow limits at five sites over previous low flow seasons.  The graph also depicted peaks in ban days during the 2007/2008 and 2008-2009 seasons which corresponds with river flows well below normal during these seasons.

Responding to a question, Mr Waldron advised that once a defined set of data of sites over the last few years was completed, it would be easier to pick up more trends to illustrate for example if there were more ban days occurring or less ban days occurring.



That the Maori Committee :

1.    Receives the report titled “Low Flow Monitoring Report 2008-2009”.





Ruataniwha Basin Transient Groundwater-Surface Water Flow Model

Dr Baalousha gave a Powerpoint presentation which provided a summary of the development and results of the Ruataniwha groundwater model project.  Dr Baalousha explained it was necessary for  modelling to be undertaken on the Ruataniwha Plains in order to predict what could occur in the future.  Dr Baalousha stressed that it was important to understand that groundwater and surface water could not be managed alone  when they were interacting and should be considered as one body.  Definitions of  the three main stages of the model were also explained.

Dr Baalousha advised that the model would now be used to run a series of allocation scenarios to assist with allocation policy development for the groundwater resource in the basis and results would be communicated to key stakeholders in the Ruataniwha community and water user groups through a series of seminars and workshops.

The Committee discussed the model results and the future impacts that may occur on Ruataniwha if the consented volume was fully used and if there was an increase of irrigated lands over the next 5 years.




That the Maori Committee :

1.    Receives the report titled “Ruataniwha Basin Transient Groundwater-Surface Water Flow Model”.





Statutory Advocacy Update 18 june – 24 august 2010

Ms Bate presented this agenda item and outlined current proposals under Council’s statutory advocacy project and the Resource Management Act 1991.



That the Maori Committee :

1.      Agrees that the decisions to be made are not significant under the criteria contained in Council’s adopted policy on significance and that Council can exercise its discretion under Sections 79(1)(a) and 82(3) of the Local Government Act 2002 and make decisions on this issue without conferring directly with the community and persons likely to be affected by or to have an interest in the decision due to the nature and significance of the issue to be considered and decided.

2.      Receives the Statutory Advocacy Update Report.






General Business

1.    Update on Oxidation Ponds at Waipukurau

       Mr Newman and Mike Mohi updated the Committee on stormwater issues in CHB and advised that the stormwater system is currently being upgraded.  Mr Newman also advised progress to date on the consent application and the possibility of a staggered discharge in peak flow events.

       A further meeting was being held this evening, Tuesday, 24 August with Tamatea Taiwhenua.

2.    Winstones Kaitiaki Group

       Mr Apatu reported that the kaitaki group for Winstones had been formed, the process has worked well with a good contribution from all members.  Mr Apatu reminded the Committee that the formation of this group was part of the Consent conditions for Winstones.

3.    Peka Peka Wetland

Mr Hilton commented that the Peka Peka wetland was progressing well and noted that a grant to assist in ongoing work at the wetland  had been received from Internal Affairs Lottery Board.










Prior to closing the meeting, Chairman Mohi advised that this was the last meeting of the Committee prior to the local body elections and the meeting scheduled for 21 September would be for new delegates and those re-elected.

Chairman Mohi thanked all current delegates for their attendance and exchange of views over the last 3 years and thanked Councillors present for their input and interest in the Committee.


Chairman Dick on behalf of Council thanked the Committee for the opportunity to be part of the Committee’s discussions and the wisdom and knowledge they had shared as a Committee over the last 3 years was very much appreciated.


There being no further business the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 1.15pm on Tuesday, 24 August 2010..


Signed as a true and correct record.




DATE: ................................................               CHAIRMAN: ...............................................